The Ukrainian president says Vladimir Putin is the one Russian official he’s keen to fulfill with a single problem on the agenda – to cease the battle.
- Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy says that Kremlin chief Vladimir Putin is the one Russian official he’s keen to fulfill, with the only real intention of ending the battle.
- The Ukrainian chief additionally requires “most” sanctions in opposition to Russia, together with an oil embargo as he addresses international enterprise leaders on the World Financial Discussion board in Davos through video hyperlink.
- United States Protection Secretary Lloyd Austin says that some 20 international locations had introduced new safety help packages for Ukraine throughout a digital assembly with allies.
- Ukraine says greater than 13,000 alleged Russian battle crimes are being probed whereas a courtroom in Kyiv courtroom sentences a 21-year-old Russian soldier to life in jail for killing an unarmed civilian.
- A Russian diplomat to the United Nations in Geneva resigns over the battle in Ukraine, in a uncommon signal of criticism in opposition to the Kremlin.
- Ukrainian officers say they’ve pushed again an try by Russian forces to storm Severodonetsk – a key metropolis for Moscow to realize full management of the Donbas area.
Listed here are all the most recent updates:
Three civilians useless in Donetsk area: Governor
Donetsk regional governor Pavlo Kyrylenko has mentioned three civilians within the area have died in Russian assaults. He didn’t give additional particulars.
Earlier, Kyrylenko instructed The Related Press in Kramatorsk that heavy combating was persevering with close to the area of Luhansk and that the frontline was beneath steady bombardment.
Kyrylenko mentioned the “state of affairs is tough. The frontline is beneath shelling always.”
‘By no means have I been so ashamed of my nation’: Russian diplomat resigns
A veteran Russian diplomat to the United Nations workplace in Geneva has handed in his resignation and despatched an announcement to international colleagues criticising the “aggressive battle unleashed” by Russian President Vladimir Putin in Ukraine.
Boris Bondarev, who labored as a counsellor at Russia’s everlasting mission to the UN in Geneva, instructed the Reuters information company: “I went to the mission like every other Monday morning and I forwarded my resignation letter and I walked out.”
Learn the complete story right here.
Almost 90 killed in Desna assault
Talking to international leaders who have been gathered for the World Financial Discussion board in Davos, Switzerland, Ukrainian President Zelenskyy additionally revealed Ukraine’s worst navy losses from a single assault of the battle, saying 87 individuals had been killed final week when Russian forces struck a barracks housing troops at a coaching base within the north.
Beforehand, Kyiv had mentioned eight individuals died within the Could 17 strike on the barracks within the city of Desna.
EU embargo on Russian oil ‘inside days’: German minister
The European Union will doubtless agree on an embargo on Russian oil imports “inside days”, German Economic system Minister Robert Habeck has instructed broadcaster ZDF.
Habeck warned, nevertheless, that an embargo wouldn’t routinely weaken the Kremlin as rising costs have been enabling it to rake in additional revenue whereas promoting decrease volumes of oil.
Due to this fact, one consideration was to now not pay “any value” for oil, however to agree on higher limits, he mentioned. For that to work, nevertheless, many international locations must get on board.
Some 20 international locations commit new safety assist for Ukraine: Pentagon chief
US Protection Secretary Lloyd Austin mentioned that some 20 international locations had introduced new safety help packages for Ukraine throughout a digital assembly with allies on Monday that was geared toward coordinating arms for Kyiv.
The international locations that introduced new packages included Italy, Denmark, Greece, Norway and Poland, Austin instructed reporters following a gathering of the Ukraine Protection Contact Group. Denmark would supply a harpoon launcher and missiles to defend Ukraine’s coast, Austin mentioned.
“Everybody right here understands the stakes of this battle,” Austin mentioned.
Ukraine’s Zelenskyy would meet Putin an finish to battle
Addressing by video hyperlink an viewers on the World Financial Discussion board in Davos, the Ukrainian president has mentioned that Kremlin chief Vladimir Putin was the one Russian official he was keen to fulfill with the only real scope of ending the battle.
However Zelenskyy mentioned that arranging any kind of talks with Russia was changing into tougher within the mild of what he mentioned was proof of Russian actions in opposition to civilians beneath occupation.
He additionally instructed the worldwide enterprise group that the world should enhance sanctions in opposition to Russia to discourage different international locations from utilizing “brute drive” to realize their goals.
Whats up and welcome to Al Jazeera’s persevering with protection of the battle in Ukraine.
Learn all of the updates from Saturday, Could 23 right here.